Safety and Procedures
At Discovery, we hold the safety of our families and our children in the highest regard. Each weekend, our Family Ministries team follows these guidelines to ensure the protection of all our classrooms, volunteers and, especially, our children.
- All children are given a name tag with their name, pertinent health information (such as allergies), and a randomly generated code. This code matches the label given to the parent. If any issues should arise with a child, the parent will be paged by a posting of this code on the main service screens.
- The parent label is required for pick up of the child.
- There are two (2) volunteers in every room and each room is equipped with windows.
- Bathroom Procedures:
- No male volunteers are allowed to change diapers or take children to restrooms.
- For children in Discoveryland, minimal to no assistance. If a child does require assistance, a female volunteer will keep the bathroom stall door open at all times.
- Kindergarten – 5th graders: The volunteer walks the children to the restrooms and waits in the hallway. They must always go with a minimum group of two (2) children.
- Parents who wish to stay in the classroom with their child are allowed to do so but are not allowed to take any child to the restroom or change any diaper.
Discovery Church uses the following procedures in selecting volunteers for any Family Ministries area. Each prospective volunteer must:
- Fill out an extensive volunteer application.
- Pass a thorough background check which includes state and FBI checks.
- Submit two (2) character references.
- Additionally, a list of prospective volunteers is sent to all staff to allow for internal feedback regarding any proposed volunteers.